23 March 2012

Sprrroooiinnng!

#149

Friday, March 23rd

Finally got my butt back on the bike and went for a ride. The sun is shining and spring is here for sure. The daffodils and redbuds are out (almost over) and the lovely poppies are shining back at the sun.


I started at my usual parking lot on the east side of Folsom, worked my way west, then south, finally cutting back through neighborhoods to my starting place. About 15 miles.



I stopped to get some stuff for the dog at the vet, then I stopped at my favorite bike store (but they were out of tubes for my tires), then at REI to get replacement bike shoes (I do not recommend Velcro closures unless you LIKE constantly re-sticking the flaps down).
I had to order a pair.
Of shoes. What did you think I meant! That's what I get for wanting the newest model (Pearl Izumi X-Alp Drift II, or something like that). The shoes will be in next week. I amused/alarmed the sales associate when he realized that I wore size 45 shoes, the same size he did. Flipper Flipper, blah blah.

I rode on bike trails, with some other signs of spring around


and on city streets. I was very pleased that many of the traffic lights are "bike aware" but displeased because the green light cycle is too short for a slow rider to make it through not on the gellow.

Folsom generally does a good job with bike infrastructure, like this bike trail/street intersection at Russi. I had a ped pushbutton available to stop traffic on Riley so I could get on Russi Rd. Pretty neat.


I generally try to stick to traffic lanes/bike lanes rather than using the sidewalk to get across the street. I will, however, use the sidewalk over riding the wrong way on the street, or other daft things I see folks do. I did a little bit of sidewalk riding right at the beginning of my ride, to get back to the trail from the vet's.

I tried to get the shot (I was going a blazing 16mph) but the shutter caught the wrong moment in the sign's blinking.


The water is high now (something about a week or more of rain).

Humbug Creek from wooden bike bridge

The wildlife is enjoying it.



I've been riding over these concrete swales on the bike paths for years now and it never occurred to me to wonder why there were there.


Well. Duh. For when the pond overflows! The water is about 1 foot down and 2 feet away from the path.

And for the first time in several years, I saw new house construction! How strange.



No comments:

Post a Comment