18 April 2015

Bike Around the Buttes 2015

Saturday, April 18th

Generic picture

Red Leader and I had intended to do the 40 miles course this time, but we wimped out and did the 17 again instead. It was over in a flash, and we decided that the magic hill-levelers were at it again.

My trike was a little unstable on the downhill side of Pass Road, wanting to wiggle and wander from the combination of road camber and a slight wind. And a rough road. So I kept it down to 27mph and was relieved to reach the bottom rightside up.

Last year, I said I would count cows this year. And I did. About 150 cows on the 17 mile ride.

Butte Slough, I think. No cows here.

I considered naming this post "Cows and Culverts", or "Cows, Culverts, and Concrete", or "Teleporting Cows."

Whaaaaaat?

Red Leader decided that my efforts to count cows were in vain, since the cows were obviously teleporting around the course to stay ahead of us. All cows look the same to me. He might have something there.

We don't go very fast on our trikes, and we are positioned to look ahead and around, rather than staring at the pavement and a front wheel. So I noticed a dry rice field to our right. Well, first I noticed tiny little narrow culverts in long straight berms. Then I figured out it used to be a rice field.

I also noticed that many roadside culverts - where a driveway or farm road comes out - were constructed of bags filled with something. We decided it must be Quick Crete. So that's a twofer - Culverts AND Concrete.

A Concrete? Culvert

I'm looking forward to May is Bike Month - signed up for a 25 mile and a 60 mile ride already. Whee!

CU

No comments:

Post a Comment