Saturday, August 6th
30 miles on the American River Bike Trail
with the Recumbent Riders of Sacramento.
Yes. It is good to be back. And yes, I was mostly in back of the pack also. Back. Heh heh. Get it?
BUT this month I could see most of them most of the time, I think my average for the first 1/2 of the ride was 12-13 mph. So now I know I can do that for about 15 miles.
|My view for most of the ride.|
I don't know what my average for the second half was, but I'm betting my over all average was less than 10. 'Cause I was one tired puppy at the end of the ride.
So, why DON'T I know my average?
Because my speedometer sensor was knocked askew.
Because of removing and replacing my rear wheel, of course. (This is starting to sound like a conversation with a 5 year old).
Why mess with the rear wheel?
Because of this!
|The Goathead thorn I found sticking out of my poor abused tire.|
Here is an extremely amusing video about this horrid little scrap of vegetation. I had nothing to do with this video but I find it hilarious. No really. I do.
I had no problem removing the rear tire and getting a new tube in and inflated. I had a little trouble getting the wheel back in the dropouts while managing the chain. So a kind passerby held the back of the trike up while I cut loose with some language and got the wheel all settled in place.
I love my RoadMorph pump. It was easy to use and the trick a friend of mine discovered of unscrewing the collar on the business end of the pump a little bit prior to attaching the pump to a Schrader valve made it much easier than the first time I tried the pump.
I was remarkably nervous riding the last 10 of the 30 mile ride, knowing that I had only ONE spare tube and no patch kit.
Why no patch kit?
(Oh, for crying out loud! Not the five year old again!)
I probably picked up the goathead when I pulled over earlier to give a pack of cyclists my patch kit. Which I had never used. So much for the Good Samaritan act.
Who am I fooling, I'd do it again in an instant, but I might check my tires before scooting off.
I tried using the Tracks app on my phone (android). It did not seem to record anything ridewithgps can use, so I'll try again another day. The app ran for 5 hours and ran my battery down almost to nothing. So I think it might be a fun thing to play with, but only good for recording short routes.
The To Do List:
- I really really need to see if I can tighten up the seat mesh where my pokey shoulderblades have caused it to sag.
- I also want to fix up my speedometer and make sure my pepperspray is attached to the bike securely.
- And it might be time to check the rear derailler for lumps of crud and maybe to lube and wipe down the chain.
- Oh. and check various bolt for tightness, since I'll have the seat off anyway.
Out for an early ride on Monday: Up up and away!